The Best of You Base is a wellbeing base and has been created to provide additional support for identified pupils who are at risk of disengaging from education.
Pupils access the base to support their engagement in learning.
The base is founded on the following six nurturing principles:
• Children's learning is understood developmentally.
• The school offers a safe base.
• Nurture is important for the development of self-esteem.
• Language is a vital means of communication.
• All behaviour is communication of an unmet need.
• Transitions are significant in children's lives.
In the base, pupils can engage in small groups with key members of staff. They each have a planned programme of work and in addition can access the base to receive help when times are difficult and to manage a calm start to the day.
Provision for pupils includes: drop in facilities before school, at interval and lunchtimes; tutorial periods for identified supports; targeted intervention to assist pupils in achieving qualifications; pastoral/listening service working alongside Open Doors service and Pastoral Heads.
Mrs A Murray is the Key Teacher with lead responsibility for Nurture at Braes High School.