Cheryl Butler "Open Doors" In addition to support from Pastoral Heads, we have a confidential listening service for pupils known as 'Open Doors' and run by our counsellor Cheryl Butler. Pupils can drop in at any time to speak with Cheryl if they are experiencing difficulties. Cheryl liaises closely with the Pastoral Team and follows the school and authority Child Protection Policy and Guidelines. Cheryl's working days are Monday, Tuesday and Thursday.
Open Doors provides a confidential listening service to all pupils through individual and group work settings to build confidence and resilience and allow all pupils to feel part of the school and wider community.
- Building confidence and improving self-esteem to support pupils to be included
- Providing a nurturing response to pupils experiencing difficulties with anger, bereavement, anxiety, relationship difficulties, depression, stress, self-harm, family issues, health issues, friendship difficulties and conflict.
- Removing barriers to learning by supporting young people to overcome social anxiety
- Providing opportunities to help pupils build skills that will enable them to be confident and responsible in the school and wider community.
- Seasons for growth bereavement support within a group setting to support pupils through a period of grief and still be able to participate in everyday school life.
- Exam stress workshops to build resilience in pupils when faced with difficulties.
- Managing Strong Emotions support, working together in groups to understand and control difficult emotions. Based on cognitive behavioural therapy support, to promote inclusion and allow pupils to participate fully within school and as active members of the community.